I kept this blog pretty quiet these days because there are lots of things to do so I ended up neglecting it; and then I saw the interesting topic in the Daily Post about freelancing as a writer beyond this blog. I believe freelancing is an interesting way to explore oneself.
Generally speaking, freelancing as a writer in/and outside Romania works as long as you follow some simple guidelines. Of course, these may vary depending on skills and markets, but here are some basic steps:
- Be an exceptional professional and leverage your expertise with each new project;
- Be an equally exceptional marketer able to market your skills and position yourself as a top performer;
- Find a niche for your expertise: while it’s good to explore multiple perspectives at hand, stick to the one(s) that truly make you shine. Believe me, clients do appreciate that each and every time;
- Be extremely organized about your projects and manage your clients accordingly: freelancing is not about being lazy;
- Know or learn how to separate your working and spare time so as to avoid burnouts (be sure to take breaks);
- Know your value; don’t be afraid to claim it.
Last but not least, enjoy it 🙂 !
And the list can go on and on…