Blog Stats since Jan 2013
- 32,049 hits
- I am all for #essentialism Great book! @GregoryMcKeown 9 hours ago
- RT @LaszloAndorEU: Answering questions from our young friends at Deutz from #Extremadura on #YouthGuarantee & dual training http://t.co/mfp… 5 days ago
- 5 mituri despre freelancing și cum stau de fapt lucrurile dojoblog.ro/2013/10/07/5-m… 5 days ago
This Blog Is Mainly About:Aflatoxin Books Bulgaria Cats Chevron China Chocolate Christmas Cluj-Napoca Culture Cyclone Haiyan Philippines Daily Prompt Democracy Easter eBooks Economic Crisis Economy Education Environment European Union Eurozone Facebook Flowers Food Germany Greece Günther Verheugen Human Rights Hungary Husasau de Tinca Infographic Internet ITU Justice Kim Jon-un Literature MCV Justice Report Media Migration Music NATO Nature North Korea Orthodox Church Poetry Politics Pope Press Release Protests Public Affairs Romania Romanian Parliament Rule of Law Russia Schengen Shale gas Social Media Sour cherries Spring Switzerland Syria Traian Basescu Travel Twitter UK Ukraine UNHCR United Nations US Vatican Veto Victor Ponta Vladimir Putin World Press Photo Youth
- Body Language Infographic April 7, 2014
- Happy! Happy Sunday! April 6, 2014
- Spring in Her Step March 29, 2014
- Beyond Blogs: Freelancing Guide March 21, 2014
- Going Offline Infographic March 9, 2014
- An American in Husasau de Tinca March 7, 2014
- High-Level Selfies March 6, 2014
- Putin Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize 2014 March 5, 2014
Blogs I Follow
I kept this blog pretty quiet these days because there are lots of things to do so I ended up neglecting it; and then I saw the interesting topic in the Daily Post about freelancing as a writer beyond this blog. I believe freelancing is an interesting way to explore oneself.
Generally speaking, freelancing as a writer in/and outside Romania works as long as you follow some simple guidelines. Of course, these may vary depending on skills and markets, but here are some basic steps:
- Be an exceptional professional and leverage your expertise with each new project;
- Be an equally exceptional marketer able to market your skills and position yourself as a top performer;
- Find a niche for your expertise: while it’s good to explore multiple perspectives at hand, stick to the one(s) that truly make you shine. Believe me, clients do appreciate that each and every time;
- Be extremely organized about your projects and manage your clients accordingly: freelancing is not about being lazy;
- Know or learn how to separate your working and spare time so as to avoid burnouts (be sure to take breaks);
- Know your value; don’t be afraid to claim it.
Last but not least, enjoy it :) !
And the list can go on and on…
In communist Romania, people were either comrades or Americans. My grandmother was an American and so was her family. Basically, they were capitalists or Americans which was the derogative term used by the Communists to finger point people who refused to side with the regime despite constant pressure and human rights abuse exerted upon them.
Being an American in Husasau de Tinca (Romania) was an extremely pejorative term. However, when the 1989 Revolution broke in, most of the children of the hard-core communists ran away… to America or Canada. The latter’s parents turned capitalists over night and became the people who “bravely” paved the way for a democratic country.
The standoff in Crimea has brought about talk about the re-enactment of the Cold War or even World War II practices. Hilary Clinton threw in a comparison between Putin and Hitler while commenting on Putin’s concerns for the “Russian brothers” or comrades from Crimea.
To my grandmother, it’s highly reminiscent of the clash between East and West.